Tuesday 28 April 2015

Around Here

1. I am in some serious denial that my baby turns two in just over a week. Like I refuse to acknowledge it because then it won't happen right?

2. Joss informed me that if you need money you just go to the shops and buy something and then you get money back. I wish kid! But seriously seeing her try to make sense of the world and complex ideas like time and money is AMAZING. Please remind me of that the next time she has already asked what time it is or how long till x time 10 billion times before 8 am.

3. I have started to make myself go to bed at a decent time like between 9-9:30 every night in the hopes that I don't want to kill all of humanity when I wake up. We are only about a week and a half in but it's going well. I wake around 5:45 feeling amazing and filled with a love of life and for my fellow inhabitants of Earth. However I would rather that it was say 6:15 but I guess beggars can't be choosers and all that.

4. Oddly enough both of my children have decided to start sleeping through the night and till a decent time of the morning (and by decent time I mean any moment past 6am). The irony is not lost on me that I have finally found love for my fellow mankind at 5:45am and my children have finally learned to sleep past 6am. I have come to the conclusion 2 years old is when my children decide they have caused their mother as much sleep deprivation as is humanly possible and give up.

5. After a life changing trip to Paris colliding with the extra sleep and the now almost 2 year old and the glimpses of freedom that gives I have set myself the goal of doing my hair and makeup every morning before I leave the house. By make up I mean Moisturiser, Primer, Foundation, Powder, Brows, and Mascara. It's been a long time coming but it all clicked recently that Joss is going to demand my attention no matter what, there is never a moment where she says "oh hey look you just spent x amount of time really focused on me and my needs so guess what I feel whole and  going to self entertain while you spend 15 minutes looking after your needs". So the best I can do right now is set boundaries and say "right now mummy is doing her hair and make up so you are going to need to wait". It kills me on SO many levels and plays right into my insecurities that I am doing enough for her or am selfish but at the same time I know that setting clear boundaries that sometimes parents need to do things for themselves is good. It's also making me really look at how many of her demands are genuinely needs and how many are just demand for my attention.  On a side note 99% of the time Jasper only needs to know I am near so it does not seem to impact him. I don't know if it's because he is a boy, second child, just different, or it's an age thing. I have to say walking out the door for the school run put together feels really good.

6. Plans are swirling in my mind for a  small potted herb garden and a couple of tomatillo plants. You can't get Salsa Verde in England, not even crap stuff and witnessing a fellow American expat's success last year I am jumping on the bandwagon.

So what's going on around yours?

No comments: